Friday, May 11, 2012

Charcoal Blends

Charcoal is one of the oldest form of art material and painting medium. Mostly used for sketching potraits, and making rough drawings. Charcoal has a spontaneity and responsiveness that is vey welcome when you are in a mood to do a quick sketch. As compared to pencil sketching even the best HBs, 2Bs, 4Bs and so on cannot compare with the versatality and depth variations that charcoal offers.

Ever since a artist friend introduced me to charcoal, it's been my best art material. Some handmade paper, a charcoal stick and some good imagination. And there you have a great piece in a jiffy!
I created some bastar figures using charcoal.



Lots of charcoal paintings have been done before. So what more could I do with charcoal to develop an original style? When you need to think hard, its tempting to chew the pencil at hand. But if it's a charcoal pencil you're holding, then you'd better think twice before taking a bite or nibble. It was certainly more advisable to reach for my thinking cap instead for that one elusive brainwave!

I am ardent fan of the more ethinic traditional Indian paintings. I thought about what different could  I do? I mixed in a bit of the kalamkari effect. So here is where my very own charcoal blend style emerged. The figure is inspired by the sculpture of Eklingji, the ruling deity of Mewar.











After a brief tryst with black and white (or black and yellow) my lifelong romance with bright colours was not to be forgotten. I had this itch to experiement with some unconventional medium, while never letting go of the charcoal. With a glossy, burnt sienna coloured handmade paper, some more kalamkari(penwork) in red, glass paints for the translucent effect, and acrylic white for the pearl effect, and my next charcoal blend came into existence.












"Divyangana" is the name of the above painting, named after my neice. It means a celestial fairy. An artistic impression created with my inspiration from female deity forms and bronze statues.

Talking of painting and deities transports you into a world of meditation. When I say meditation, do any buddhist chants come to your mind, or ears? Well, it was inspiration that came to me. With thoughts of peace, relaxation, purity, white lights, golden auras and floral tributes. I still held on to the charcoal, got out some metallic gold paint, and here was born another charcoal blend, "Nirvana".



No comments:

Post a Comment